Tyne and Wear HER(17480): Wallsend, High Street West, Station Hotel - Details
Wallsend, High Street West, Station Hotel
The Station Hotel opened on September 17th 1872. It was known by the nickname Penny Wet. The house acquired its nickname before the Licensing Act of Llloyd George which restricted the opening times. Prior to the First World War it was open at 06:30 for the shipyard workers to get a drink to warm themselves and it was customary to buy a coffee and a rum for 1d - hence the Penny Wet. Station Hotel closed 2nd January 1967. The pub was demolished along with the nearby Railway Inn in the late 1960s to make way for a new shopping development. The Anson PH opened as a replacement. The bar of the Anson has been called the Penny Wet Bar.
Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p8