Tyne and Wear HER(17491): Wallsend, Buddle Street, Simpson's Hotel - Details
Wallsend, Buddle Street, Simpson's Hotel
The Simpson's Hotel was built in 1912 and was named after Dr Robert Simpson. It had over 300 rooms. The bar had saloon style bat-wing doors and because of this and also the popular western TV programme, Bonanza, it was nicknamed 'The Penderosa'. The hotel closed in 1981 and was demolished in 1983. The site of the bar is now beneath the Segedunum Roman Fort visitor attraction.
Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p15