Tyne and Wear HER(17493): Wallsend, Davy Bank, Davy Inn Public House - Details
Wallsend, Davy Bank, Davy Inn Public House
The Davy Inn public house is believed to have been built during the Napoleonic Wars. The pub is said to have been a smugglers haunt. It was originally by the waters edge but land reclamation has taken place over the past two hundred years. It was probably named after Sir Humphrey Davy - the inventor of the miners safety lamp. The Davy Inn is mentioned in the Church Rate book 1849-1860 as being the property of Joseph Mordue. Mordue also owned the Mordue Brewery on Crow Bank by the Green. A description of the bar by Malcolm Dunn - The pub was very narrow and the bar was pewter topped with beer drawn staight from the barrels which were on gantries and could be 'knocked open' with a spanner. It had a huge Edwardian corkscrew as a central piece'. The bar also contained a glass sweetie cabinet. These were in contrast to the start cream plank-lined interior. The stone floor was scattered with sawdust. Visiting seamen used to leave some of their personal belongings behind the bar. This was common practice as the seamen hoped it would ensure a safe voyage and that they could return to collect their items soon. Cheese and biscuits were served each lunchtime, which used to be a common thing in most pubs on Sundays. The Davy Inn also served Salmon sandwiches on a Sunday lunchtime. Pie and peas were available for 2d each Saturday and baked potatoes on Mondays. The last manageress was Mrs Anne Nelson who claimed an unused upstairs room was haunted by a poltergeist. Date of demolition unknown but the pub closed soon after Jan 1968.
Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p16