Tyne and Wear HER(17496): Wallsend, Station Road, Ex-Service and Working Mens Club - Details
Wallsend, Station Road, Ex-Service and Working Mens Club
The Ex-Service and Working Men's Club was established in 1918 as the Wallsend Comrades of the Great War Working Men's Club & Institute. Members were enrolled in a hut in the Wallsend CafĂ© yard. Its first address was 3 High Street, Wallsend. In October 1919 the club moved to the present location having purchased the premises from C. Vaux and Sons Ltd. During 1923 the name of the club was changed to the Wallsend British Legion Club and Instititute Ltd. The club continued under that name until 1935 when the present name was adopted. Also still known as the Comrades Club. Alteration to the club were undertaken in 1954 and in 1963.
Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p20