Tyne and Wear HER(17501): Howdon, Tynemouth Road, Lyric Cinema (British Legion Club) - Details
Howdon, Tynemouth Road, Lyric Cinema (British Legion Club)
Originally the Lyric Cinema which was part of the local chain Tyne Picture Houses Ltd., operated by James McHarg of Wallsend. It was opened in August 1939, but was closed at the outbreak of World War II in September 1939. Within weeks, it reopened again. The entrance was on Marske Road, with the length of the auditorium running parallel with Tynemouth Road. Building became part of the North-Eastern Co-op from June 1961 and later a shirt factory. The High Howdon Royal British Legion Club took over the premises in May 1980. The club comprised a concert room with a Hammon electric organ with accomodation for 400. It had a lounge for 200 a bar for 300 and a function room that could hold 300. Today the social club share the premises with a supermarket.
Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p26; http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/36854