Tyne and Wear HER(17505): Willington Quay, Dun Cow (Brown Cow) Public House - Details
Willington Quay, Dun Cow (Brown Cow) Public House
The Dun Cow built c.1841. Originally the Brown Cow. Stood are the entrance to British Rope Works. The pub used to have a circular bar. The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes (RAOB) King George Lodge No. 2115 held their annual meetings here from 1928-1941 and then transferred to the Turks Head. On 14th August 1928 the position of the urinals and drains were altered. On 4th December 1934 a staircase was made from the front of the house to the club room. IN 1941 the pub was damaged by bombs - only the ground floor of the pub remained. Possilby due to its Catholic connections it earned the nickname of the Vatican City. On March 30th 1967 the Dun Cow ceased trading and closed. It was demolished Aug 1967.
Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p30