Tyne and Wear HER(17512): Willington Quay, Stephenson Street, Alma Public House - Details
Willington Quay, Stephenson Street, Alma Public House
The Alma stood at 46 Stephenson Street. It opened in 1858 and was probably named after the 'Battle of the Alma' which took place during the Crimean War 1854-56. On 9th April 1935 the two small back rooms were combined. The pub earned the nickname of the Apprentice Arms due to the number of apprentices from the local factories who used to drink there. Closed c.1968. Now demolished.
Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p33