Tyne and Wear HER(17513): Willington Quay, Stephenson Street, Ship Launch Inn - Details
Willington Quay, Stephenson Street, Ship Launch Inn
Ship Launch Inn opened c.1822 at 53-54 Stephenson Street. The renewal of the licence was referred to the Compensation Authority on 9th March 1911 and a provisional renewal of the licence was granted to Elizabeth Richardson widow of previous landlord George. The property was described as small, "low and damp, with a beer store extending to and under the Ballast Hill". The urinal was in a small yard "through the kitchen opposite to and 10ft from the kitchen window." One earth closet was used by the tenant and customers and with no rear access to the property the refuse from it had to be carried through the house. A full licence was granted on 5th May 1911. Further provisional licence renewals were granted in 1912 and 1913. The pub closed on 4th April 1913. It was then converted into dining rooms during the First World War, listed as being at 54 Stephenson Street. Date of demolition unknown but probably 1930s slum clearance.
Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p33; http://www.newsguardian.co.uk/nostalgia/history-of-the-ship-launch-inn-1-1598221