Tyne and Wear HER(17519): Willington Quay, Stephenson Street, Star Inn Public House - Details
Willington Quay, Stephenson Street, Star Inn Public House
The Star Inn stood at 90-91 Stephenson Street. It was in existence by 1863 replacing the earlier Coble Inn (HER 17520). On 30th September the licence expired and the pub closed. The Star Inn became the birthplace of two Orders in the area: Freemasonry and the RAOB. The Star Lodge of the RAOB (Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes) was founded 24th September 1863. The Star Inn was also where the Willington Quay Ex-Servicemen's Club, then known as the Comrades of the Great War Club was based. It closed September 30th 1936. Demolition date unknown.
Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p35