Tyne and Wear HER(17521): Willington Quay, Gas House Lane, Red Lion Inn - Details
Willington Quay, Gas House Lane, Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn on Gas House Lane was built c.1828. In 1857 the Roman Catholics of Wallsend and district under the Rev Thomas Gillow, opened a school in the Red Lion Inn. However, lack of support and subscriptions meant the venture was abandoned. Closed 30th September 1937.
Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p36