Tyne and Wear HER(17524): Howdon, Dock Road, Black Bull Hotel - Details
Howdon, Dock Road, Black Bull Hotel
The Black Bull Hotel existed on Dock Road in 1822. In 1864 it was used on August 16th for the election of the 'Howdon Local Board of Health'. On the ballot paper is mentioned William Linsley Thompson - off-putter and occupier of the Black Bull and in all probability the first License mentioned on the Licensing Register is either his wife or widow. The building was pulled down in late 1899 along with the Trimmers Arms - a new Black Bull Hotel was erected on the same site. As a result of the new road works required for the Tyne Vehicular Tunnel the hotel closed 12th March 1963 and was pulled down. The licence was transferred to the newly built Mauretania on the Low Willington Estate.
Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p37