Tyne and Wear HER(17533): Willington Quay, Shipwright Stairs, Shipwrights Arms Pub - Details
Willington Quay, Shipwright Stairs, Shipwrights Arms Pub
Shipwrights Arms stood on Shipwright Stairs at the north bank of East Howdon-Wililngton Quay. The pub opened in 1841 and was located near the entrance to the Tyne Tunnel beside North Cottage. On 17th September 1872 the owners were listed as being the Shipwrights Society of Howdon. In 1962 the Shipwright Arms were informed by letter from the Scottish and Newcastle Breweries stating - 'trading will cease at this house at 10:30 on 7th November 1962.'
Boundey, S. 2010, Wallsend Pubs and Clubs, p40