Tyne and Wear HER(1754): East Herrington, Pumping Station - Details
East Herrington, Pumping Station
Water Supply and Drainage
Water Supply Site
Pumping Station. Was once a Scheduled Ancient Monument, but the machinery was removed to Beamish Museum and the pumping station was descheduled in 1981. There is a photo of the pumping station in Atkinson 1980. The station was powered by an early electrical installation in 1911. The machinery was by E. Timmins and Son Ltd, Bridgewater Foundry, Runcorn. Constructed for Lambton Colleries Ltd. The pumping station was originally used to raise water for a coking plant, but was taken over by Sunderland and South Shields Water Company for public water supply. It was taken out of service after the Edmundbyers reservoir was built.
<< HER 1754 >> Tyne and Wear Joint Conservation Team, 1975, Card Index of Industrial Sites First District Extract List; F. Atkinson, 1980, North East England - People at Work 1860-1950