Tyne and Wear HER(17543): Walker, St. Anthony's Station - Details
Walker, St. Anthony's Station
Railway Transport Site
St Anthony's Station on the North Eastern Railway's Newcastle and Tynemouth Riverside Branch. Opened May 1st 1879. Closed to goods 31st Oct 1966 and to passengers 12th September 1960. Demolished 1963. The line continued to be used for goods until 1987. A cycleway and footpath follow the course of the Riverside branch through the site of the station utilising an original skew stone bridge to the SE of the station. The station was single storey brick structure in H-plan. It had a subway connecting the 2 platforms. The station buildings at St Peters, St Anthony's, Walker and Willington Quay were all the same H-plan structure with a cantilevered platform awning embraced by cross wings. Designed by Benjamin Burleigh.