Tyne and Wear HER(17544): Wallsend, Point Pleasant Station - Details
Wallsend, Point Pleasant Station
Railway Transport Site
Point Pleasant Station. Opening date uncertain. A limited number of workmen's trains called at the station by 1898. Its humble origins were reflected in the simple wooden shelters which survived until the 1960s. Goods facilities closed 11th July 1966 and closed to passengers 23rd July 1973. Goods trains used the line until 1987. Demolished now under housing. The platforms were linked by a footbridge - a standard NER iron lattice design. A timber shed contained the waiting room and booking office. The opposite platform contained an open waiting shelter with a slanting roof. Despite its meagre facilities it was one of the busier stations on the branch.