Tyne and Wear HER(17570): Monkwearmouth, Bridge Foundry - Details
Monkwearmouth, Bridge Foundry
Bridge Foundry is shown on Robson's map of 1827. The iron foundry was owned by J.W. Thompson in 1856. The ironworks on the River Wear mostly produced castings for the shipbuilding industry. Bridge Foundry remained in operation until the mid 20th century. The layout of the complex changed little over the years. In 1915-17 there were plans for a new works to replace the complex, probably prompted by the increase in demand brought about by the war. But the development appears not to have been implemented, perhaps as a result of a fall in producrion after the First World War.
Northern Archaeological Associates, 2017, Sheepfolds, Sunderland - Archaeological Desk Based Assessment, Building Recording and Geological Assessment; Robson, 1827, Map of Sunderland; First Edition 25 inch OS map 1859; Stephenson, 1829, Map of Sunderland; Whellan, 1856, Directory of County Durham; Plans for proposed new foundry building, 24 December 1915, TWA BCP 269/6177; Revised plans for proposed new foundry building, 17 November 1917, TWA BCP 269/6178; Northern Archaeological Associates, 2017, Archaeological Evaluation Interim Report - Sheepfolds, Monkwearmouth, Sunderland; Northern Archaeological Associates, 2018, Sheepfolds, Monkwearmouth: Archaeological monitoring report;