Tyne and Wear HER(17574): Monkwearmouth, Hay Street, goods shed/warehouse - Details
Monkwearmouth, Hay Street, goods shed/warehouse
Railway Transport Site
The NER goods shed/warehouse was built on the east side of the northern end of Hay Street towards the end of the 19th century. A substantial part of Hay's Ropery (HER 17571) was demolished to make way for the extended goods yard. This warehouse survives in good condition. First shown on Ordnance Survey second edition of 1898. Rectangular red brick building with large arched openings. Currently in use as Ward Bros (Steel) Ltd.
Northern Archaeological Associates, 2017, Sheepfolds, Sunderland - Archaeological Desk Based Assessment, Building Recording and Geological Assessment, p 44, 53; OS second edition 25 inch map, 1895