Tyne and Wear HER(17582): Ouseburn, Ford Street, Cartright's Carriage Works - Details
Ouseburn, Ford Street, Cartright's Carriage Works
Motor Vehicle Engineering Site
In 1936 workshop buildings were built for the wheelwright Cartright on the site of the packing house (HER 17581) for the Ford A Pottery. The Ordnance Survey fourth edition 6" to one mile plan of 1942 labels the building as 'Carriage Works'. The fifth provisional edition 1:2500 of 1952 labels it as a 'Coach Works'. The building still survives and has latterly been in use as R & J Ince Builders & Timber Merchants and DS Motors. Quite an attractive industrial building, brick single storey workshop with a square chimney which served the carriage works furnace. Two storey office at the the eastern end. Inside, the sandstone north wall of the previous pottery packing house (HER 17581) survives and so does the tunnel (HER 7057) which linked the packinghouse to Ford A Pottery.
C.G. Peters, 2004, R and J Ince Ltd, Ford Street, Ouseburn, Newcastle upon Tyne - Archaeological Assessment; Proposed workshop buildings associated with the wheelwright Cartright, 1936, T186/16117 (Tyne and Wear Archives