Tyne and Wear HER(17644): South Shields, Wallis Street, Congregational Church - Details
South Shields, Wallis Street, Congregational Church
Religious Ritual and Funerary
A church only shown on the 1st edition OS map,; built in 1824. In 1882 it became the Gospel Temperance Hall (surviving programmes for events here showed it functioned in this role until at least1916). Later it became the Kingâ€™s Picture House, and Alexandra Theatre which closed in 1940, after which it was used as a warehouse until demolished in 1960.
Peter Ryder, 2017, Nonconformist Chapels in South Tyneside; http://www.southtynesideimages.org.uk