Tyne and Wear HER(17670): South Shields, Corstophine Town, Primitive Methodist Chapel - Details
South Shields, Corstophine Town, Primitive Methodist Chapel
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Primitive Methodist Chapel
Built in 1859, a substantial town chapel (NGR NZ 3554 6610) which was sold in 1881 to H.S.Edwards and Co for an extension to their High Dock Premises (HER 2294). Not labelled on OS maps but a comparison of a photograph of c1900 and the 1890s OS 10ft:1 mile town plan allows it to be identified on the west side of the road. The congregation moved to Laygate Lane Church.
Peter Ryder, 2017, Nonconformist Chapels in South Tyneside; http://www.southtynesidehistory.co.uk/archive/architecture/places-of-worship/620256