Tyne and Wear HER(17689): South Shields, Reay Street, Mission Hall - Details
South Shields, Reay Street, Mission Hall
Religious Ritual and Funerary
This church appears to have started in Wapping Street before moving to Reay Street in 1888. The mission was opened in 1888, seated 200, and probably closed in 1947, the area being redeveloped soon after. It may also be the same as the Heron Street Mission listed in directories of the period, as Heron street was adjacent to Reay Street. The grid reference here given (NGR NZ 3596 6760) is for a Mission Hall on the west side of Heron Street shown on the 1890s OS 10ft:1 mile town plan.
Peter Ryder, 2017, Nonconformist Chapels in South Tyneside