Tyne and Wear HER(17783): Sunderland, Fawcett Street, Binns Department Store - Details
Sunderland, Fawcett Street, Binns Department Store
Former Binns department store constructed in the 1930s in a classical style. Binns was founded by George Binns in 1811 as a drapers on Sunderland High Street. The shops moved to 173 High Street West in 1880 and then to Nos 38-39 Fawcett Street in 1888. By 1921 they had expanded to occupy the whole block and premises on the west side of the street and part of the east side. Both buildings were rebuilt due to war time bomb damage between 1953 and 1962.
Tumman, J, Johnson, M and Lane, A (no date) A walk around Historic Sunderland- The Fawcett and Sunniside Estates