Tyne and Wear HER(17788): Sunderland, St. Thomas Street, Palmer Arcade - Details
Sunderland, St. Thomas Street, Palmer Arcade
The New Arcade was developed in 1876 on the site of the gardens associated with Frederick Lodge. The arcade had a glass roof. It was occupied by small shops including a Marks and Spencer Penny Bazaar (1900) and Mrs Palmerâ€™s Music shop (1900). The latter came to occupy most of the arcade and the site became known locally as Palmersâ€™ Arcade. The arcade was demolished in the 1970s to facilitate the extension of the Telephone Exchange.
Tumman, J, Johnson, M and Lane, A (no date) A walk around Historic Sunderland- The Fawcett and Sunniside Estates