Tyne and Wear HER(17804): Blaydon, Bridge Street, Spigot Mortar Emplacement - Details
Blaydon, Bridge Street, Spigot Mortar Emplacement
Spigot Mortar Emplacement
Spigot mortar emplacement - pit or emplacement surrounding a concrete pedestal or 'thimble' which was used to mount a spigot mortar. Deployed by the Home Guard in WW2 as an anti invasion measure. This example was notified to the HER in September 2019 by a member of the public, who had been informed about it by a long term resident of the area. It is located on the south side of Bridge Street, just to the east of Cochran Street. The spigot mortar may have been positioned to defend Blaydon Bridge against an attack from the east. The houses which had previously occupied the site on the south side of Bridge Street were demolished in 1935 as part of a road widening scheme.