Fast Search

You are Here: Home / East Holborn, The Rose and Crown, Public House

Tyne and Wear HER(17820): East Holborn, The Rose and Crown, Public House - Details

Back to Search Results


East Holborn, The Rose and Crown, Public House

South Shields



Licensed Premises

Public House

Early Modern


Demolished Building

The Rose and Crown was located close to the Middle Docks at East Holborn. Between 1903 and 1907, the Public house was rebuilt and set back from the historic street front. The public house is a brick-built two storey building with stone dressings. A cellar is recorded beneath the structure. The frontage is mainly red brick laid to a stretcher bond. There are two entrances located on the northern elevation one of which has a leaded stained-glass fanlight. A plywood sign with gold and white lettering, a red pin striping and beaded edges was also recorded on the building’s frontage. The building façade has been painted white with a black band. Stone lintels and cills were also painted black and the doors and window frames were painted in a maroon gloss. The windows show details of etched glazing.




Archaeological Research Services, 2019 Historic Building Recording of the Rose and Crown Public House, East Holborn, South Shields

Back to Search Results