Tyne and Wear HER(1813): Winlaton, Oldwell House - Details
Winlaton, Oldwell House
Oldwell House, situated at the bottom of Old Well Lane, is probably the oldest house now in occupation in Winlaton. It was formerly the residence of the famous Laycock family, who came to Winlaton from Yorkshire early in the 18th century to take control of the Crowley interests (see HER ref. 1006). Robert Laycock, born 1763, succeeded his father in the Crowley management. He had three sons, one of whom, Joseph, born 1798, built Winlaton Hall (HER ref. 1814) now Hall-Garth Club. He became a very wealthy man by the building of railway waggons at Stella, he was Lord-Mayor of Newcastle in 1858.
<< HER 1813 >> Winlaton, historical facts