Tyne and Wear HER(1842): South Shields, North and South Marine Parks and Bents Park - Details
South Shields, North and South Marine Parks and Bents Park
Gardens Parks and Urban Spaces
A chain of three municipal, seaside parks developed from the 1870s and into the early 20th century on reclaimed land. In 1869, a 2 hectare children's recreation ground, including a pond for sailing model boats was opened on a former brickyard and dump in South Shields. In 1875 this was extended northwards, by incorporating 7.5 hectares of ballast hills lying south from the Lawe. Subsequently the corporation employed Matthew Hall, Borough Engineer and Surveyor to incorporate this recreation area into his design for the new North Marine Park, where work began in 1883. The creation of South Marine Park was completed in 1890 at a cost of £20,000. The Marine Parks were opened on 25 June 1890. In 1901-2 Bents Park was laid out on levelled ballast hills between South Marine Park and Trow Rocks. Thus by the early 20th century a chain of Marine Parks and recreation grounds covering c.58 hectares, stretched for nearly 3 km along the seaward frontage of the Borough, providing a significant example of industrial land reclamation. In the 1920s and 1930s further features were added to the park, but in 1955 the elegant bandstand below the terrace in South Park was removed, and in the 1970s the glasshouse standing towards the centre of South Park was also removed. The parks contain a wealth of gardens, lawns, structures, sculptures, sporting and recreational facilities. REGISTERED HISTORIC PARK.
<< HER 1842 >> English Heritage, 2000, Register of Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England, GD2434 F. Green, 1995, A Guide to the Historic Parks and Gardens of Tyne and Wear, 9 36-37 English Heritage, 1992, Marine Parks, South Shields, Inspector's Report Robinson Penn Partnership, 1998, South Marine Park, South Shields, Restoration Feasibility Study 1886, The Gardener's Calendar F. Green, 1995, Historic Parks & Gardens in Tyne and Wear - Stage 2 Research Archaeological Services University of Durham, 2002, South Marine Park Archaeological Assessment