Tyne and Wear HER(1860): Elswick, Beech Grove - Details
Elswick, Beech Grove
This Jacobean-style house was pulled down in about 1897, at which time it was owned by George Angus, a leather manufacturer. It stood south of Elswick Road, in grounds occupying approximately the site bounded by the present Beech Grove Road, Park Close and Westmorland Road, adjoining those of Elswick Hall (HER ref. 1864). Beech Grove had been the home of Edward Richardson (1805-63), another leather manufacturer. William Mather occupied it in 1861.
<< HER 1860 >> T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 9; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2013, Bristol Terrace, Elswick, Newcastle upon Tyne, Archaeological Assessment; Elswick Tithe Plan, 1852 (NRO DT 165M)