Tyne and Wear HER(1864): Elswick Hall - Details
Title of image: The Lake Elswick Park, Newcastle upon Tyne
Description: An undated view of Elswick Park, Elswick, Newcastle upon Tyne. There are boats on the lake in the foreground with the park beyond. Elswick Hall can be seen in the background. Elswick Hall was demolished in 1981 and swimming baths were built on the site.
Additional info: Print colour
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Parks Collection
Accession number: NCL 070714
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Originally the Elswick estate was held by the Jennison family, who made their first purchase of land there in 1640. John Hodgson, cloth merchant and colliery owner purchased it and his grandson, John Hodgson III, commissioned the rebuilding of Elswick Hall in 1803, engaging William and John Stokoe of Newcastle as architects. His son sold the estate in 1839 to Richard Grainger, before eventually being given to the City Council for use as a public park: Elswick Park was opened to the public in 1881. Rising costs forced its abandonment and the Hall was eventually demolished about 1980 and a swimming pool constructed on the site.
<< HER 1864 >> T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 17-18; L. Wilkes and G. Dodds, 1964, Tyneside Classical - The Newcastle of Grainger, Dobson and Clayton; W.W. Tomlinson, 1888, Comprehensive Guide to the County of Northumberland