Tyne and Wear HER(1867): Longbenton, Benton Hall - Details
Longbenton, Benton Hall
Benton Hall was sometimes known as Little Benton Hall, Benton White House and Benton House. It was built c.1760 (the wings may have been added later) by Thomas Bigge, a coal-owner and brother of William (d. 1758), High Sheriff of Northumberland in 1751. Between about 1854 and 1858 the estate was converted into a public Botanical Gardens. The house lay north and west respectively of the present Coast Road and Red Hall Drive; it was unoccupied c.1900-1929 and demolished shortly after this for residential development.
<< HER 1867 >> T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 9; W.G. Elliott and Edwin Smith, Bygone Days of Longbenton, Benton, Forest Hall, West Moor and Killingworth, p 31