Tyne and Wear HER(1868): Gosforth, Coxlodge Hall - Details
Gosforth, Coxlodge Hall
In 1796, Job Bulman, a medical man originally from Gateshead who had made a fortune in India, built Coxlodge Hall and lived in it until his death in 1818. His son Job James immediately tenanted it and began to sell off the estate. In 1832 he sold the Hall and about 30 acres of land to the banker John Anderson. In 1859 it was purchased by Thomas Hedley, a soap manufacturer. In 1877 the house was burnt down, only to be rebuilt two years later by the shipbuilder Andrew Leslie, who sold it to John Harper Graham, a wine merchant, in 1894. A later owner was another shipbuilder, Rowland Hodge (c.1910-14). By the 1930s much of the estate had been sold for suburban development but the building, by now a private school, survived until 1939. It was situated on the north side of what is now The Drive, originally the drive to the Hall itself. The stables, now used as offices, and a lodge on the main road, still exist.
<< HER 1868 >> T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 16; Brian Bennison, 1995, Brewers and Bottlers of Newcastle upon Tyne From 1850 to the present day, p 36; Newcastle City Council, 2002, Gosforth Conservation Area Character Statement, p 9