Tyne and Wear HER(1870): Jesmond, Jesmond Grove - Details
Jesmond, Jesmond Grove
From 1802 until his death James Losh (1762-1833), Recorder of Newcastle, lived in this house. It stood west of Jesmond Dene Road, above the ruins of St. Mary's Chapel, which lay within its grounds. John Dobson worked on the house in 1817, but it would appear to have been gothicised in the mid 19th century, probably for Matthew and Thomas Anderson. In the early 1900s, the Grove was owned by the brewer W.B. Reid and occupied by Henry Armstrong; from 1916 until its demolition in 1927 it was a boarding house for the Church High School.
<< HER 1870 >> T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 22; J. Donlad, 1976, Historical Walking Tour of Jesmond (Newcastle Local Studies Library, Jesmond Miscellaneous Articles, Vol 1, pp 36-41); Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 79