Tyne and Wear HER(1871): Jesmond, Jesmond Manor House - Details
Jesmond, Jesmond Manor House
Formerly known as Jesmond House, this lay just north of where the present Manor House Road joins Grosvenor Road, having been rebuilt by William Coulson in 1720 on the site of Nicholas Grenville's 12th century house. In 1809 it was purchased by John Anderson (1757-1829) who modernized it, and in 1887 by Col. Coulson, who later sold it to James Laing. Subsequently occupied by Alfred Cochrane and then by the shipbuilder Sir Herbert Babington Rowell, the house was later used as a nursing home and demolished in 1929. Its splendid iron gates were re-erected in 1996 as a feature of the Byker Wall housing development.
<< HER 1871 >> T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 23; J. Donald, 1976, Historical Walking Tour of Jesmond, Newcastle Local Studies Library, Jesmond Miscellaneous Articles, Vol 1, pp 36-41; Alan Morgan, 2010, Jesmond from mines to mansions, page 81