Tyne and Wear HER(1872): Gosforth, Kenton Road, Kenton Lodge 1 - Details
Gosforth, Kenton Road, Kenton Lodge 1
The Lodge stood at its south-east corner at the junction of Kenton Road and Grandstand Road. It was built in 1795 for the coal-owner John Graham Clarke, grandfather of Elizabeth Barrett Browning. From 1810 to 1836 it was the seat of John Brandling, and for the next three years was occupied by Sir John Walsham, a Poor Law commissioner. Later occupiers were mainly farmers. In 1908 it was replaced by the present Queen Anne Revival style house, built for the paint manufacturer Max Holzapfel.
T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 23; CgMs Consulting, 2013, Kenton Lodge, Kenton Road, Newcastle upon Tyne - archaeological assessment; drawing in Liz Palmer, 1993, Bygone Kenton; AOC Archaeology, 2014, Kenton Lodge, Newcastle upon Tyne - Historic Buildings Recording and Evaluation; AOC Archaeology, 2015, Kenton Lodge, Newcastle upon Tyne - Historic Buildings Recording, Evaluation and Watching Brief