Tyne and Wear HER(1873): Gosforth, Low Gosforth House - Details
Gosforth, Low Gosforth House
More recently known as Low Gosforth Court, this was originally part of the Brandling Estate. During the first half of 19th century it was occupied by Robert William Brandling (1775-1849), younger brother of the Rev. Ralph Henry Brandling of Gosforth House. At the sale of the Brandling property in 1852, Low Gosforth was purchased by Joseph Laycock for £28,600; its estate of 287 acres included the ruins of North Gosforth Chapel. Mr Laycock demolished the existing house (date unknown) and erected a new one, in the mid-1850s, which was destroyed by fire in 1878 and rebuilt. The house was demolished in the early 1970s. The estate became incorporated into the Melton Park residential development, stables and other outbuildings being converted to residential use.
<< HER 1873 >> T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 25; R. Welford, 1879, A History of the Parish of Gosforth; Archaeological Services Durham University, 2013, Newcastle Race Course at High Gosforth Park, North Gosforth, Tyne and Wear - archaeological desk based assessment;