Tyne and Wear HER(1875): Newcastle, Picton Place, Picton House - Details
Newcastle, Picton Place, Picton House
Designed by Dobson c.1825, it was part of a development laid out along New Bridge Street following the construction of the bridge over Pandon Dene. Of this, only the architect's own house (now a night club) and some houses east of the present Falconar Street survive. Picton House, demolished in 1970, was at the southern end of Picton Place near the junction with New Bridge Street and Oxford Street. In 1860 it was the residence of George Mennell and for many years survived as a railway ticket office and later as an employment exchange.
<< HER 1875 >> T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 27; T. Faulkner and A. Greg, 1987, John Dobson Newcastle Architect 1787-1865, p 24