Tyne and Wear HER(1878): Benwell, Benwell Park - Details
Benwell, Benwell Park
Benwell Park was built, in neo-Elizabethan style, in 1853 for the barrister John P. Mulcaster. It lay south of the West Road, between the estates of Pendower House and Condercum House, in 4-5 acres near to the line of the Roman Wall. In July 1913 the Mulcaster children sold the house to Edith McCarthy wife of the shipowner Leonard Macarthy. In December 1936 Benwell Park was purchased by local builders Hadden & Hillman for £5750. They demolished the house and redeveloped the site with an estate of semi-detached houses, called eponymously, Denhill Park.
<< HER 1878 >> T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 14; NRO MBE 1123; Abstract of a title of a Denhill Park House; History of Northumberland 1930; Newcastle Courant