Tyne and Wear HER(1880): East Chirton, Chirton House - Details
East Chirton, Chirton House
Chirton House stood south-west of Hawkey's Lane, north of the present Waterville Road. It had been built in 1693 by Winifred Milbourne on the site of an older mansion. In the late 18th century it was the residence of Edward Collingwood (d.1783) and his son, also Edward (d.1805); it then descended to the latter's cousin, Admiral Lord Collingwood (1748-1810), who never lived at Chirton, although his wife and daughters did. It was sold in 1876 and demolished in 1899; a Co-operative store was erected on the site.
<< HER 1880 >> T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 39 Alan Williams Archaeology, 2004, Collingwood Arms Hotel, Front Street, Chirton, Archaeological Assessment J. Taggart (Rev), 1963, A History of Chirton Limited circulation work