Tyne and Wear HER(1882): Whitley Bay, Whitley Hall - Details
Whitley Bay, Whitley Hall
The Hudsons had coal mines in Whitley from the late 17th century. Henry Hudson (1720-89) built this house in about 1760 (adding wings in 1776), replacing his earlier seat. His widow bequeathed it in 1815 to her neice Hannah Ellison, from whom it was purchased by the Duke of Northumberland. Later it was the residence of J.H. Friar (d.1855), Mrs Lydia Green, and then of M.W. Lambert (c.1873-93). Ultimately the small estate was offered to the Council as a park, but refused, and the Hall, on a site now occupied by the police station in Laburnum Avenue, was demolished in 1899.
<< HER 1882 >> T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 65