Tyne and Wear HER(1883): Whitley Bay, Whitley Park - Details
Whitley Bay, Whitley Park
Edward Hall of Flatworth, breeder of the fat ox immortalised in one of Bewick's engravings, built Whitley Park in about 1789. The house was covered with white stucco. After Mr Hall's death in 1792, the Park was sold to John Haigh, a 'hostman'. In 1800 it was purchased by Thomas Wright of North Shields and in 1844 sold to J.H. Hinde. After many changes of ownership, it became the Park Hotel in 1897, with most of the land being sold off for building purposes. In 1922 Whitley Park was bought for use as Council offices but was demolished in 1939. A library and a small park now occupy the site of what was left of the estate.
<< HER 1883 >> T. Faulkner & P. Lowery, 1996, Lost Houses of Newcastle and Northumberland, p 66