Tyne and Wear HER(1899): South Shields, The Lawe, Roman hypocaust and gold coin - Details
South Shields, The Lawe, Roman hypocaust and gold coin
"On the Lawe Hill in 1798 some workmen employed on the grounds of Nicholas Fairles, Esq., found the remains of a Roman hypocaust, consisting of brick and dressed freestone; the lowest course of rough whinstone, “evidently brought from the shore, as the barnacles were still adhering to them”. The buildings seem to have been of a mixed character, some Roman, others of a later date. A gold coin of Marcus Aurelius, and several small brass coins from Claudius Gothicus to Valentinian were also found in the vicinity. This site is outside the northeastern corner of the site on the edge of the Lawe. It is suggested that it may have been the bathhouse or perhaps the bathhouse of a mansio.
<< HER 1899 >> Tyne and Wear Museums, 2001, Hadrian Primary School, Baring Street, South Shields, Archaeological Assessment, appendix 1 1884, Archaeologia Aeliana, 2, ser 10, p 230 1875, Shields Gazette and Daily Telegraph, 1 March 1875 N. Fairles, 1901, a rough plan made about 1770 or 1780, Proceedings Society Antiquities Newcastle, 2, ser 9, p 214-5