Tyne and Wear HER(19030): Douro Terrace, Clifton Hall - Details
Douro Terrace, Clifton Hall
Clifton Hall is located within the Ashbrooke Conservation area, it is a late Victorian, arts and crafts style redbrick structure constructed with an English bond style with a slate roof and terracotta ridge tiles. The structure includes decorative brick panels on the eastern gable. The Clifton Villas were in situ by 1880 and were occupied by John Tillman, whose brother designed the Sunderland Museum. The two semi-detached villas were converted into a training college in 1933 with a link side extension and rear extensions.
Howarth Litchfield, 2020, Clifton Hall, Statement of Significance