Tyne and Wear HER(1951): Hebburn Hall - Details
Title of image: Ellison Hall, Hebburn
Date: circa 1950s
Description: Black and white photograph showing Ellison Hall, Hebburn. Date of photograph unknown.
Additional info: Black and White photograph
Location/Collection: Central Library South Shields/Local Studies Collection
Accession number: STH0011253
Copyright: Digital Image copyright Â© South Tyneside. All rights reserved.
The Ellison family acquired the manor of North Hebburn in 1658 and South Hebburn in 1777. The big 17th century house was rebuilt in 1790-2, possibly by William Newton and with alterations of 1819 by Dobson for Cuthbert Ellison. Inside is a plaster ceiling, probably by Joseph Rose in 1792. There was a medieval pele tower on the same site, parts of which seem to have been incorporated within the Hall - in November 2001, during restoration work, three stone corbels from the medieval structure were revealed under a suspended ceiling. Used as an auxiliary hospital during the First World War by the Joint War Committee (British Red Cross and the Order of St John of Jerusalem). LISTED GRADE 2
<< HER 1951 >> DoNH, List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest; Richardson's plan of the estates in lease to Sir Benjamin Rawling, 1768; W. Fordyce, 1837, History of County Durham; Hutchinson, 1794, A History of Durham; A.J. Pawsey, 2001, Dear Old Hebburn; P. Perry, 1992, A portrait of old Jarrow and Hebburn; N. Pevsner, 1985, The Buildings of England: County Durham; R. Surtees, 1820, The History and Antiquities of the County Palatine of Durham, Vol II; R. Hewitt, Tyne and Wear Museums, 2004, Hebburn Hall - Archaeological Building Recording; Simpson & Brown and South Tyneside Council, 2007, Hebburn Hall Conservation Area - First draft Character Appraisal; www.hebburn.org; www.norman.dunn247.com; www.999hebburn.co.uk; www.donmouth.co.uk/local_history/VAD/VAD_hospitals.html (accessed 2014); British Red Cross, 2014, List of Auxiliary Hospitals in the UK during the First World War