Tyne and Wear HER(1959): Throckley, New Engine and Engine Pit - Details
Throckley, New Engine and Engine Pit
A pmping shaft called 'the New Engine' is shown on a plan of 1769. It was served by a wagonway (HER ref. 1963) which was in turn linked to another wagonway (HER ref. 1958) serving Honey Pit (HER ref. 1956), Hill Pit (HER ref. 3952) and Meadow Pit (HER ref. 3953). "New Engine" is also shown on a plan of 1781, but not shown on the First edition Ordnance Survey plan of 1858, so was presumably out of use by this date.
<< HER 1959 >> Tyne and Wear Museums, 2001, Throckley Middle School, Hexham Road, Throckley Archaeological Assessment; Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2001, Throckley Middle School, Hexham Road, Throckley Archaeological Assessment; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2012, Waggonways North of the River Tyne: Tyne and Wear HER Enhancement Project 2011-12; Map of Throckley Fell 1774; A Plan of Throckley, 1769, NRO 536/2; Thompson, 1767, A plan of the Lordship of Newburn belonging to the Duke and Duchess of Northumberland, NRO Sant/Beq/9/1/1/24, Plan of the Throckley Estate in the County of Northumberland - freehold lands… formerly belonged to John Rogers Esq. now to Edward Montague Esq., 1736, NRO Sant/Beq/9/1/1/35; Throckley Estate and the workings in the Engine Seam of coal situated in the parish of Newburn belonging to Greenwich Hospital, NRO Sant/Beq/9/1/1/37