Tyne and Wear HER(1966): Throckley, Hexham Road, Lead Houses - Details
Throckley, Hexham Road, Lead Houses
Metal Smelting Site
Lead Working Site
Buildings at the junction of Drove Road and the Military Road were known as 'Lead House' by 1858, when they appear on the first edition Ordnance Survey plan, and were apparently store houses for the Langley Lead Company. The crossroads is captioned 'Lead gate' on the county maps of Greenwood and Fryer in the 1820s.
<< HER 1966 >> Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2001, Throckley Middle School, Hexham Road, Throckley Archaeological Assessment 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1858; Geotge Walton, 1994, Bygone Throckley