Tyne and Wear HER(2013): Percy Main, Ridges Reservoirs - Details
Percy Main, Ridges Reservoirs
Water Supply and Drainage
Water Storage Site
Ridges Reservoirs, three in all, with (possibly) two Windmills shown on 1st edn OS mapping, which may have been used for pumping water. The Newcastle and North Shields Curling Club played matches on these reservoirs. According to an article in the Newcastle Courant in 1893, a Mr Robert Heughan of North Shields introduced curling to Tyneside. He brought ten pairs of curling stones from Dumfries and gathered together 'a few kindred spirits' and began curling at Percy Main. After a day of curling on 16 February 1843, the players adjourned to 'the comfortable hostelry of Mr Charlton, at Chirton' and the Newcastle and North Shields Curling Club was instituted. Robert Heughan was elected president, William Wilson, vice president and Mr J. Thorburn, treasurer and secretary. The club was affiliated with the Royal Caledonian Club in 1847. From 1849 the club was known as Newcastle Curling Club. After a few years they moved to Clousden Hill (HER 1099), later Fenham (HER 6370). In 1864 the club built an artificial pond at Pelaw.
<< HER 2013 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89; https://sites.google.com/a/curlingplaces.info/cp3/places/4092-percy-main-newcastle; Newcastle Curling Club, Jubilee Banquet in The Newcastle Courant, Saturday February 25, 1893, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B92iT6R7LDN-Q254TGgtOFlZUVU/edit