Fast Search

You are Here: Home / North Shields, New Low Light

Tyne and Wear HER(2057): North Shields, New Low Light - Details

Back to Search Results

Low Lights


N Tyneside

North Shields, New Low Light

North Shields



Navigation Aid


Early Modern


Extant Building

The Low Light along with the High Light (HER 2129) provided guidance for ships entering the mouth of the Tyne. Built between 1805 and 1808 to replace the earlier Old Low Light (HER 4557) which, due to changes in the river channels, no longer functioned properly. It was first lit in 1810. {2} Lighthouse and house attached. Now fish processing unit. Lighthouse by John Stokoe, dated 1807, house dated 1816 on door lintel. Lighthouse painted ashlar, lead roof. House English garden wall bond brick with ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings. Welsh slate roof. Lighthouse 6 storeys and lantern. Sash window under first floor cornice. Tapered tower with canted corners. Round-headed windows. Curved railings to lantern stage. Central chimney. House three storeys. 6-panelled door, inserted loading door. On first floor sashes and large round-headed window with stone arch.




<< HER 2057 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89 Dodds, M H, 1928, The North Shields Lighthouses; Dept. of National Heritage, of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest 15/137;

Back to Search Results