Tyne and Wear HER(2072): North Shields, Smith's Dock (Number 7 Graving Dock) - Details
North Shields, Smith's Dock (Number 7 Graving Dock)
Dock and Harbour Installation
A graving dock was constructed on the Limekiln Shore in 1850 for T&W Smith. This was adapted in the early 1920s to a more symmetrical shape by Sir William Arroll Engineers. Probably originally of stone construction, now concrete, it is skewed at c.35 degrees to the riverside, with asymmetric sides and a curving symmetrical forward end. Two sets of stairs access the dock, one aft, one forward. The Flap gate designed by a Mr Edward Box and built by Sir William Arroll Engineers is probably still in place but lowered into its recess at the dock head. During this adaptation of the dock, a new pumping system was also installed, set into a sunken chamber at the southern end of the dock. Presently the dock measures 90.5 metres long by 15.8 metres wide and 5.15 metres deep. It survives as a shell within the derelict yard, with all equipment and fixtures removed.
<< HER 2072 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89 The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Shipbuilding on Tyne and Wear - Prehistory to Present. Tyne & Wear Historic Environment Recor; The Archaeological Practice Ltd. 2005, Smith's Dock and A&P Tyne, North Shields, Historic Buildings Recording