Tyne and Wear HER(2077): North Shields, Burdon Main Colliery (Collingwood Main) - Details
North Shields, Burdon Main Colliery (Collingwood Main)
Coal Mining Site
Burdon Main Colliery. 1st edn OS mapping shows an Old Engine House within the site. Opened in 1811. There were seven pits - A Pit, Chance Pit, Chirton Pit, Engine Pit, Hopewell Pit, Old Pit and West Chirton Pit. The colliery was opened by Messrs Bells, Robson & Co. On opening one of the shafts in 1814 a skeleton of a man was found at a depth of 30 fathoms. The workings extended under the River Tyne to the low water mark. Old Pit and Hopwell Pit were upcast shafts. Coal was taken to the drops at North Shields by an inclined plane. On 17 July 1813 an explosion killed 8 miners, on 19 November 1835 11 were killed.
<< HER 2077 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk; T.H. Hair 1884, A View of the Colleries in the counties of Northumberland and Durham; Roy Thompson, 2004, Thunder Underground - Northumberland Mine Disasters 1815-65, p 65