Tyne and Wear HER(2081): North Shields, Collingwood's Dock - Details
North Shields, Collingwood's Dock
Dock and Harbour Installation
A dock was constructed in the 1750s to the south of the Bull Ring by the landowner Edward Collingwood. John Fryer’s Map of the Lower Tyne, 1772/3,describes it as ‘Mr Hall’s Dock’ (presumably the tenant), while Wood’s map of North Shields, 1827, shows the same dock with ‘Mr Laing’ written next to it, and Calver’s map of the Tyne, 1838/40, describes it as ‘Smith’s Dock’. The dock had in fact been utilised by T&W Smith from 1815 for an uncertain period. The dock was subsumed within Edwards and Sons yard in 1883. In 1899 the yard became part of the amalgamated Smith’s Dock Co.
<< HER 2081 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89 J. Fryer, 1772, A Plan of the Low Part of the River Tyne J. Woods, 1826, Plan of the Towns of North Shields and Tynemouth The Archaeological Practice, 2002, Shipbuilding on Tyne and Wear - Prehistory to Present. Tyne & Wear Historic Environment Record.